Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spray Bleach DIY


I may be a little late on the bleaching trend, but I don't care. I wasn't really that into all the dip dye denim shorts I saw this summer, but then I remembered that I had a dress hiding in my closet that already had a few accidental bleach spots. I thought two things: 1) this dress would make a great skirt, and 2) why not add more bleach and make it look intentional? So I did. And now you can, too.


1. Supplies: a garment to bleach, Clorox bleach, and a spray bottle (I used one I could throw away when I was done.) 2. Be sure to work in a well-ventilated area. Pour a few ounces of bleach into the spray bottle. Lay your garment flat, and spray a small section of the lower hem of your garment as a test area. 3. Allow the test area to dry for 5-10 minutes so you can see how the bleach reacts before spraying more. 4. Spray the rest of the garment until you have your desired look, and lay flat to dry for 20 minutes. Flip the garment over and do the second side. When both sides have been sprayed, hang the garment up to dry completely, then wash alone in the washing machine before wearing.

One tip I have for this project is to take your time. You can always add more bleach, but you can't undo what you've already done. The bleach takes a while to  react with the fabric, and goes through several stages before bleaching is complete. The spots I sprayed first turned green before turning white, and then the spots continued to grow. I suggest spraying a little, letting it sit, and coming back to it as many times as you need to.


I love how my skirt turned out! It looks like the misty sea waves are splashing up around my legs when I move. Have fun creating your own! I will post more pictures of how I styled it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment